Is it Okay to Install Untested versions of WordPress Plugins

Wordpress related queries and solutions go in this forum thread. Ask the problems you are facing related to Wordpress here.
imransoudagar

Is it Okay to Install Untested versions of WordPress Plugins

Postby imransoudagar » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:39 pm

Hello,

I have been checking out few plugins and most of them are awesome and help me automate most of the task. But there seems to be one consistent problem with many plugins. Most of these plugins have not been tested with the latest version of WordPress.

It's been just a few weeks since WordPress rolled out the latest version and not all the plugins have been tested with the latest version.

I was worried if installing these untested plugins will cause any problem from the security point of view?

Will my WordPress blog get hacked because I installed an untested version of a plugin?

If you have read the news a few month back, it is said that the Panama Papers leak happened because the owner didn't update WordPress or WordPress Plugins.

I would be happy if you can clear my doubts.

Thank you

Atish Ranjan
Administrator

Re: Is it Okay to Install Untested versions of WordPress Plugins

Postby Atish Ranjan » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:22 pm

imransoudagar wrote:Hello,

I have been checking out few plugins and most of them are awesome and help me automate most of the task. But there seems to be one consistent problem with many plugins. Most of these plugins have not been tested with the latest version of WordPress.

It's been just a few weeks since WordPress rolled out the latest version and not all the plugins have been tested with the latest version.

I was worried if installing these untested plugins will cause any problem from the security point of view?

Will my WordPress blog get hacked because I installed an untested version of a plugin?

If you have read the news a few month back, it is said that the Panama Papers leak happened because the owner didn't update WordPress or WordPress Plugins.

I would be happy if you can clear my doubts.

Thank you

Hello Imran,

As far as I know, there is no problem using the plugins which are not tested with updated Wordpress version until you get some problems. But, yes there is always a risk of getting hacked because updates are made to improve the security and features of the system, and untested plugins may give the way to hackers to invade into your site.

It's better to stay on safer side.

I have some plugins on my few sites that are not updated for 4 years, and still, I am having no issues with them. So, you cannot be sure that whether it will be good or bad for your blog, but there is risk.

I think this clarifies your doubt, Imran.
Atish Ranjan
Administrator

SwadhinAgrawal
Content Marketing Expert

Postby SwadhinAgrawal » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:23 pm

imransoudagar wrote:Hello,

Thank you

Hi Imran,
Its not that untested plugins are unsafe, it sometimes means the makers hadn't have the time tp update it. You can also update the plugin info you can read this article for more details http://www.wpbeginner.com/opinion/should-you-install-plugins-not-tested-with-your-wordpress-version/
-Swadhin Agrawal
Author | Blogger | Coach
Find me on SwadhinAgrawal.com
Connect on Twitter --> @AgrawalSwadhin 8-)

imransoudagar

Postby imransoudagar » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:38 am

Thank you Atish and Swadhin for helping me. :)

Return to “Wordpress”