Few Questions On Blog Comments! Is blog commenting an essential part of blogging?

Questions, Answers, Topics, and Posts related to blogging!
pvariel

Few Questions On Blog Comments! Is blog commenting an essential part of blogging?

Postby pvariel » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:38 pm

Is blog commenting an essential part of blogging?

Is it worth spending time on others blog pages to post comments?

There is a common saying among some of the bloggers that blog comments are dead!

What is your view in this regard? Is Blog commenting Dead?

Is it beneficial to a blogger to spend time on writing comments on others pages?
What benefit they achieve​ ​by doing this?

Why some top bloggers shut their comment box to their readers?

What is your opinion on placing the comments of readers,
Is it good to keep the first comment author's comment remain on top of the comments or the new comment author's comment on top of the comments? That is, when a new comment author posts a comment the first, comment author's comment go down to the bottom of the comments.Which mode is good? the reverse mode or the other mode, the first come first serve? OR The first come the last serve and late come the first serve!! LOL

These days some bloggers are following the reverse mode, that is,
which mode is good is it the first comment should remain on top and the late comers below that?
What is your view in these questions?
Philip V Ariel
#Philipscom
A multi-lingual Freelance writer, blogger and an editor.
Based in Hyderabad India.
Blog at http://www.pvariel.com Philipscom
Twitter: @PVAriel https://twitter.com/PVAriel

Atish Ranjan
Administrator

Re: Few Questions On Blog Comments! Is blog commenting an essential part of blogging?

Postby Atish Ranjan » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:05 pm

pvariel wrote:Is blog commenting an essential part of blogging?

Is it worth spending time on others blog pages to post comments?

There is a common saying among some of the bloggers that blog comments are dead!...

Hello Philip,

This is really a very interesting discussion you have started here. Thanks!

Yes, we must spend time on commenting because through we build relationships and you know already that how much importance relationship has in the blogging world. You get well-targeted referral traffic as well which usually have lower bounce rates.

No blog comments are not dead. But, yes it is kind of dead if you are doing for SEO. But, we usually don't comment for SEO, but for building good relationships and targeted traffic. 8-)

Yes, why not? Every blogger should post at least 5 comments every day. Benefits are many such as you get in touch with the author of those blogs where you comment, various other bloggers on the comment thread start noticing you and eventually visit your blog. So, you improve your traffic along with building relationships. To comment, you read blog posts which make you a good reader as well. And most importantly you learn something from every post.

About shutting down the commenting system. There are many bloggers who are now famous and come a long way. They don't need comments to motivate them. Also, a huge number of comments on blog posts can either increase or decrease the keyword density of keyword target because many comments use those words in the comments. So, this way SEO of that page may go bad. So, many do shut down comments.

Yes, first comment should always be on top and that is the best I think! But many bloggers keep the latest comment at first. There is no rule for that, it's completely a personal choice. You can keep the order of your blog comments the way you want.

I hope, I have answered to everything you have asked. Still, if you have something, you may post a reply here again. ;)

Note: This response is completely my opinion and not something like a rule. Responses of different bloggers may vary. :D
Atish Ranjan
Administrator

SwadhinAgrawal
Content Marketing Expert

Re: Few Questions On Blog Comments! Is blog commenting an essential part of blogging?

Postby SwadhinAgrawal » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:18 pm

Hello Philip sir,
I think having blog comments is really important for blogging. If you have blog comments on your blog it provides a form of social proof for your audience, similarly if a blog has no comments even if the post is epic it either shows the blog is deserted or the blog doesn't have much audience. Blog comments is also a form of interacting with fellow bloggers and getting into their zone of audience. Now when you comment on other blogs they recognize your presence and eventually visit your blog and register their comments. If your comment is a meaningful one some of their readers might love to interact with you and visit pack your blog to see the owner this way you had your way into the audience

In terms of SEO, blog comments help you to freshen up your content on a specific web page. Google thinks the page is updated so very much.

Blog comments also help you to build a community around your blog the readers interact with you, ask questions, get their query solved and bigger yet they have someone to see if they want to talk about the topic. If blog comments are stopped people won't follow your social channels to discuss your topic this is why copyblogger and Michael Hyatt recently re enabled their blog comments as they so serious lack of interaction. In my point of view blog comments have a great importance and so you should continue having them and increasing them.
-Swadhin Agrawal
Author | Blogger | Coach
Find me on SwadhinAgrawal.com
Connect on Twitter --> @AgrawalSwadhin 8-)

Donna Merrill

Postby Donna Merrill » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:25 pm

I do believe that comments are the backbone of our blogs. It gives us a chance to engage with others. If I didn't have comments on my blog nor go to Atish's blog and comment all the time, I would never end up here! :D

It is essential to have a discussion going on with comments on your blog. When it comes to commenting on others, we leave a great comment to the author. When we do that other people in the comment section may just resonate with us. And when they do, they will come to your blog. You will have another person that will follow you.

I have had so many readers of my blog that found me by a comment I left. When we are bloggers, it is all about engagement with others. As we go along we can even make friends with our blogging buddies and do business with them. There are so many ways comments work, it's amazing.

As for putting comments first or last, I am still trying to figure out what to do. I see the new trend of putting the latest comment first, but then it seems to avoid the conversation of others. If they have to scroll down to comment, they will see other people and who knows what can happen from there. So I think I'm going to stick with the old way.

-Donna

Atish Ranjan
Administrator

Postby Atish Ranjan » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:28 pm

Donna Merrill wrote:I do believe that comments are the backbone of our blogs. It gives us a chance to engage with others. If I didn't have comments on my blog nor go to Atish's blog and comment all the time, I would never end up here!....

Hello Donna,

I am very happy to see you on this forum. Enjoy your stay here by browsing various topics and posts. You will enjoy for sure.

I agree about your saying about commenting. Even we became friends just by commenting on each other's blogs, and that's how blogging relationships are built.

Thanks for your sharing your input.

Cheers!
Atish Ranjan
Administrator

pvariel

Postby pvariel » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:07 am

@Atish Ranjan,
Thanks a lot for your quick response to my note.

Yes,you touched all my queries here in this note.

Yes, I fully agree with you: 'That our interactions via our comments to our fellow bloggers will surely create a good engagement and in the process, it will surely develop it into a good and healthy relationship in our business process. In fact, I started my blogging journey just as a blog commenter and it developed in such a way that I could obtain hundreds of amazing people from around the world.

Yes, as you said blog commenting is not DEAD, in fact, It is KICKING and GOING STRONG and STRONG every day, that is what I could recognize it. Though there is few exception to this thought. Maybe if someone thinks that it's dead I am sure it is only his or her notion, and nothing to do with blog comments. There are a good number of people out there in support of blog commenting.

Yes, as you said apart from the relationship we make it lead to getting more targeted traffic too.
Yes, I agree, seeing our relevant comments people will get noticed and they will surely have a desire to visit our pages.
Some Pro bloggers shut their shop of comments may be because as you said because of their busyness in their field. Or maybe as they are already well established or developed a good connection with the needed people and they feel that further connection is not required also may be one of the reasons.

Regarding the comment position I too, go with you, we need to respect the people who visit first and drop a solid feedback. If we push them to the bottom of the comments, I am sure they get some kind of frustration and they may make delay to comment on such pages, or may even stop going that side at all!! LOL

Thanks Atish for your detailed reply

Best

~Phil

iamumeshsingh

Postby iamumeshsingh » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:23 am

Hi Philip,
Great question. Blog commenting is important not only it helps you to get some backlink but there some more benefits of blog commenting:

Blog commenting encourage other bloggers to participate in discussion.
We encourage the author of that post to write more and better.
It helps to establish new relationship and generate some quality leads.

I love to do commenting on my fellow blogger friends.
Umesh is a curious blogger who help businesses to grow with web.

pvariel

Postby pvariel » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:55 am

@Swadhin Agrawal

Hello Swadhin,
Happy to see you here in this Forum.

I am glad that you responded to my note.

I fully agree with you Swadhin, yes, the comments on our pages gives us indeed a kind of status, and if those comments are solid and from such reputed people it will surely give a boost to our pages.

But sad to note that, I feel that some people shut their comment option to the readers may be one of these reasons, like the poor responses from their readers or a deserted look at their comment page. To avoid that embarrassment many shut that door LOL

About the SEO aspect, I do not know much thanks for adding that valuable point in your reply.

Yes, as you said such interactive comments will surely make a new debate or interaction not only with the blog author but many readers too respond to it and it becomes more lively and it surely gets noticed by the visitors.

It is very interesting to note that the coming back of pro bloggers like copyblogger and Hyatt with re-opening their boxes!!! Yes, they realized the value of comments.

Thanks for your value-added feedback to this discussion thread.

Keep sharing

Keep going

Good wishes

~ Philip

pvariel

Postby pvariel » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:19 am

@Donna Merril

Hi Donna,

What a pleasant surprise to see you here on this Forum :-) :-) :-)

Glad that you joined in this discussion thread. Like me when we talk about comments, I am sure people like you and I will jump into it!!! LOL
Yes, I said this as I could very well know about your commenting style all around, I appreciate that. :-)

As you said there is no doubt, it's the backbone of our blogs!!! Let me little further and put it this way: It's the life-giving blood of our blogs!! LOL

Yes, as you said, our constructive or meaningful comments will get attracted by other readers and that will give them an urge them to come to our pages, thus increases our connectivity.

And when it comes to comment position, I appreciate that you stick to the old way, I think there are advantages to it, I do follow the same.
Thanks Donna for your value added feedback in this discussion.

Keep visiting and keep sharing your good experience with this forum.
I am sure the Admin and the members here will appreciate your presence as well as your valuable thoughts, :-)

May you have a wonderful weekend

Best Regards

~ Phil

Leennna

Postby Leennna » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:02 pm

Thank you all for the valuable comments. It's really a good, informative and pinnable read. I am new into blogging and such comments from experienced bloggers really make the read worthwhile. You all are a sort of an Evangelist (blogging).
Thank you all :)
Leena Alloriya
Blogger at http://scoopoflives.com/

Return to “Blogging”