Repurpose Old Content

Everything related to Content!
srimanta

Repurpose Old Content

Postby srimanta » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:25 pm

Hi,

I need to repurpose some old post for a site. Those posts are very old, posted them when I started blogging. I didn't aware about SEO, Keywords, SEO friendly URLs.

Naturally, those posts are not rank on google, don't getting any traffic from them. But, I have got some good social signal from those posts.
I know changing old URl is not a good practice.

But, those post's URL are not SEO friendly. Now I want to add some valuable keywords on those articles.

Can I make it SEO friendly by adding keywords??? I think, those post's urls has no value.

eg,

Old Post = "Internet - The window of the world"
Url = domain.com/internet-the-window-of-the-world

But now I found some best search keywords like "To best things to do on the internet"

So, Can I make it rank with such keyword without changing the URL?
Srimanta Ghosh
Blogger at ProTechMate.com

Atish Ranjan
Administrator

Re: Repurpose Old Content

Postby Atish Ranjan » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:27 am

srimanta wrote:Hi,

I need to repurpose some old post for a site. Those posts are very old, posted them when I started blogging. I didn't aware about SEO, Keywords, SEO friendly URLs.

Naturally, those posts are not rank on google, don't getting any traffic from them. But, I have got some good social signal from those posts.
I know changing old URl is not a good practice.

But, those post's URL are not SEO friendly. Now I want to add some valuable keywords on those articles.

Can I make it SEO friendly by adding keywords??? I think, those post's urls has no value.

eg,

Old Post = "Internet - The window of the world"
Url = domain.com/internet-the-window-of-the-world

But now I found some best search keywords like "To best things to do on the internet"

So, Can I make it rank with such keyword without changing the URL?

Hello Srimanta,

If you are focusing on SEO, then forget the old social share counts, you can get that again. So, make your permalinks more SEO friendly if you want.

If you are focusing on social shares, then keep the permalink as it is, and do other on page SEO for your post, like putting keywords in Title, H1, H2, first paragraph of content, in the last para, etc..

Let me know if you still have any query on this.
Atish Ranjan
Administrator

ManidipaB

Re: Repurpose Old Content

Postby ManidipaB » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:16 am

Hi Srimanta,

Repurposing is a great concept to boost the ranking of your old posts. However, the permalink is the main concern here. Articles with SEO optimized Permalink could have surely helped you more. But as Atish said, without changing that also, you can achieve better results. Just focus more on other onpage factors. Include all the related & long tail keywords in the specified places (do it in a natural way). Title is one of the most important places.

I have many articles which are not at all optimized (and the slugs look like yours :) ), which I am optimizing on a regular basis. And I can see that the rankings have improved a lot. Hope you will achieve better results too :)

Return to “Content Marketing”