How to focus when working from your home

You can find the tech tips and tricks on this thread. If you have something to share, then you are welcome to post that too.
SwadhinAgrawal
Content Marketing Expert

How to focus when working from your home

Postby SwadhinAgrawal » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:49 pm

If you are a blogger/writer or an online entrepreneur, you are well aware of how exhausting it is to work in the "home" environment. Have you struggled to focus on your online business while working from home?
Here are a few tips I use to focus on working from home.

1) Create a dedicated place for your office work.

The best way to concentrate on your writing/freelance business is to allot a space for doing just that. It may not be a room (go for one if you can afford) and can be a simple corner where you can comfortably place your table and have some space left. This will help you to get a sense of office-like-environment when working.

2) Keep hydrated

You should drink a lot of water to avoid that tiring feeling. Drinking water regularly will keep you hydrated and away from that anxiety.

3) Do not open your emails in the morning.

When I used to open my emails in the morning, I usually got caught in them. Most client works and reminders were in there which tempted me to solve them and then I would miss my work schedule I had set in the previous night. Try opening emails in the second half of your work schedule or even better after your first important task of the day is completed.

4) Move around once in a while.

Even a dedicated space isn't always effective. You soon become accustomed to it and so a change would be refreshing to bring your mojo back.
Try working from a co-working space or a library if that is not available. Being in a new area can help you stimulate your working mode.

Try these tips and make sure you have a note that you use to schedule each day's tasks on the night before. This will help you stay organized instead of wondering what to do on the work table. :)
-Swadhin Agrawal
Author | Blogger | Coach
Find me on SwadhinAgrawal.com
Connect on Twitter --> @AgrawalSwadhin 8-)

Atish Ranjan
Administrator

Re: How to focus when working from your home

Postby Atish Ranjan » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:25 pm

Great Tips, Swadhin.

However, I check emails first thing in the morning and reply to those who need quick replies. The emails that need more time to read and reply, I mark them unread again, and later check it.

I have a sticky note on my desktop, I write my next day schedule of work on it, so after turning on my laptop, I look at it, and start working.

I do smaller jobs first, and then start working on the jobs that take more time.

Also, if there are works on priority, I do them first.

I keep a break in 30 mins to drink water or walk a bit.

About the dedicated workspace, I don't have an office now, but I have a separate room for working!

Thanks for sharing your ideas. Appreciate it.
Atish Ranjan
Administrator

gopikanna
SEO Expert

Postby gopikanna » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:44 pm

Always there will be deviations while working alone.
It's always tough to stay focused.
And most time sucker is the facebook.
So to get rid of that I usually use some chrome extensions which will automatically remind me when I spend lots of time on such sites.
Also sticking to the same sort of works will be a bit boring. So I will be diversifying them.
Like I will spend few hours on content, few hours on keyword research, few hours on link building and on other works.
And I strongly suggest to stay apart from the family while you are on work. Because family members would easily deviate you from works.
I will be usually going for article writing during morning because at that time the mind will be fresh and creative. We will get lots of ideas.
That's it about my working from home lifestyle.
:D

Atish Ranjan
Administrator

Postby Atish Ranjan » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:02 am

gopikanna wrote:Always there will be deviations while working alone.
It's always tough to stay focused.
And most time sucker is the facebook.
So to get rid of that I usually use some chrome extensions which will automatically remind me when I spend lots of time on such sites.
Also sticking to the same sort of works will be a bit boring. So I will be diversifying them.
Like I will spend few hours on content, few hours on keyword research, few hours on link building and on other works.
And I strongly suggest to stay apart from the family while you are on work. Because family members would easily deviate you from works.
I will be usually going for article writing during morning because at that time the mind will be fresh and creative. We will get lots of ideas.
That's it about my working from home lifestyle.
:D

Good to know about your working style, Gopi!

I tool left Facebook. However due the nature of my business, I still have to use it but I use it not for more than 15 mins in 24 hours. Since I left using FB, my work productivity has been increased a lot. :-)
Atish Ranjan
Administrator

Leennna

Postby Leennna » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:56 am

Hello all,

All nice points made above, just to add few more

One must have a gadget-free hour and moments of silence where you're doing nothing at all. As a blogger or a social media expert, our mind works on multiple things at the same time. So, we need to give it a nice break and do nothing. In italian they say, "Dolce Far Niente" which means "Sweetness of doing nothing".

Eating healthy food in regualr intervals is as important as keeping your self hydrated as mentioned by Swadhin.

As a blogger, we have liberty to work as per our convenience, and for passionate bloggers there is no day no night. So, I would like to recall, sound sleep is very important, away from phone and any distraction. It adds to high energy levels, productivity, better decision making, and will keep you healthy.

Thanks and Regards,
Leena Alloriya
Leena Alloriya
Blogger at http://scoopoflives.com/

Nirmala

Postby Nirmala » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:18 pm

Swadhin, Good to read your tips. It's great to read the strategies of other work from home professionals as well.

Work from home is a changeling job as it involves a lot of distraction. If we have a dedicated workplace and perform the tasks with other pals, it would be comfortable to finish the work on time.

In my earlier days of blogging, I was easily get distracted with household works, social media, and communication devices. But, I realized my mistakes and avoiding distraction while working online by signing off from social networks, stop doing multiple works at a time (mix of online and offline) and putting the communication devices in silent mode.

Moreover, If I need to complete any important task I take a power nap for 30 minutes to get the job done quickly and efficiently. Also, it would be better to find out our best time to work. I identified that my creative juice flow is good during early morning and thus I stopped working late nights.

Out of all, it would be better to have an easy "To-do-list" to follow. Working without a proper plan will never let us get good results when we work from home.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”